“One generation shall commend Your works to another,
and shall declare Your mighty acts.”
When my children were small, the first prayer they learned to pray was,
God is great,
God is good,
Let us thank Him
For our food.
Typical, right? I’m sure this is probably the #1 “first prayer” that all children learn.
However simple the words in this child’s prayer may seem, they are quite profound in meaning.
God is Great
The greatness of God is really too hard for our finite minds to understand. How can we begin to understand God’s greatness when we are so limited in our thinking, our strength, and even our own existence?
- God is the Creator: Creation itself speaks of the glorious and awesome power that God possesses. Who else can make a mountain, or create a rainbow, or design a human body to reproduce life?
- God is eternal: He has no beginning and His existence will never end; unlike us who celebrate the day of our birth, and will sooner or later meet the moment of our passing.
- God is sovereign: He is the Supreme Ruler, He is self-governing; there is no higher power. He seeks counsel from no one, because there is no one greater.
God is Good
The goodness of God is shown toward us in so many ways in the daily blessings we receive. Life is tough at times, and we may not always “feel” like we are blessed, but without the goodness of God, life would be unbearable…even impossible.
- His goodness is shown in our daily lives. How could we live a day without God sustaining the very breath we take?
- His goodness is shown in His care for us. How could we have hope without God’s promise that He would provide for all our needs?
- His goodness is shown in His love toward us. How could we know love, if He hadn’t sent His Son, Jesus, to redeem us back to Himself?
[ctt template=”8″ link=”d9p5E” via=”no” ]God is great, beyond our explanation. God is good, beyond our comprehension.[/ctt]
“Every day I will bless You and praise Your name forever and ever.
Great is the LORD, and greatly to be praised, and His greatness is unsearchable.
One generation shall commend your works to another,
and shall declare your mighty acts.
On the glorious splendor of Your majesty, and on Your wondrous works, I will meditate.
They shall speak of the might of Your awesome deeds,
and I will declare Your greatness.
They shall pour forth the righteousness.”
Psalm 145:2-7 (ESV)